CHAPEL HILL, N.C (December 10, 2019) – As 2019 comes to a close, Glen Lennox celebrates significant progress made in the first full year of construction for the redevelopment project to bring new housing opportunities, restaurant and retail space, commercial office space, open spaces and other amenities to the community.
“We are very pleased with the work that has taken place over the past 12 months on the parking deck, Link Apartments® Linden, clubhouse and The Gwendolyn commercial office building,” said Clay Grubb, CEO of Grubb Properties. “It is exciting to see the long-term vision so many people have worked on over the years coming into place.”
Highlights of the progress that has been made on Glen Lennox Drive include:
- The parking deck, which will be shared by both the Link Apartments® Linden and The Gwendolyn commercial official building to reduce environmental impact, is nearly complete. The exterior structure is built, with interior mechanical, electrical and plumbing work underway.
- The foundations for both Link Apartments® Linden and the Clubhouse have been laid, with wooden framing of the walls, ceilings, and hallways well underway. The first units will be ready by the third quarter of 2020.
- Traffic flow upgrades such as a signal protected crosswalk, dedicated northbound and southbound turn lanes and a signalized U-Turn are mostly complete and roadwork to widen 15-501 has begun. The design upgrades will not only assist with traffic flow, they will also make intersections safer and easier for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Construction started in November for The Gwendolyn, a four-story, 106,000 sq. ft. Class A office space with a wide range of modern amenities. Leasing opportunities will be available for 2021.
- Planning for a “pocket park” named in honor of brothers Ralph and LeRoy Frasier, who along with John Brandon helped desegregate UNC-Chapel Hill in 1955 as the first black undergraduates. “Frasier Park” will be an inviting space to grab shade under two giant preserved trees or stretch out and relax on the open green grass.
- Planning for adding nearly 400 new trees, 2,500 shrubs, and 800 annuals and perennials. Over 10 years, the trees will offset more than 7.5 metric tons of carbon dioxide.
Chapel Hill residents can stay in touch with future updates and news by following Glen Lennox on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About Grubb Properties
Grubb Properties, founded in 1963 by former Glen Lennox resident Robert Lay Grubb, creates exceptional real estate environments and provides premier customer service for our residents and tenants through the repositioning of apartment communities and office buildings and the development of multi-family communities, including our nationally trademarked Link Apartments® brand. Our fully integrated management team identifies strategies that create long-term value for our clients. Grubb Properties’ growth is primarily funded through real estate investment funds with long-term horizons. People who care. Places that matter. For more information, visit www.grubbproperties.com.