The Glen Lennox Shopping Center opened in 1952 and, supposedly, is the second oldest shopping center in North Carolina after Cameron Village in Raleigh.
The L-shaped “strip mall” still has the same configuration today, but the original retail tenants are all gone. The popular Dairy Bar gave way to a Chinese restaurant and today the corner on the east end is Bin 54, a local upscale steak house.
The space with the dry cleaners and laundromat now houses Jujube restaurant and the spot of the popular Pace Gift Shop is Kitchen & Bath Galleries. There was also a barber shop, drug store owned by George Harris, children’s store and the NCNB Bank.